Okay, I have to vent some frustration. I am spending way too much time in the car. Why is that? Northern California has been experiencing a very wet spring. In March, San Francisco had 25 out of 31 days of rain, smashing a previous record set in 1904. April is turning out to have a similar weather pattern - wet as an overnight diaper.When it rains like this the ground gives way on steep slopes - mudslides. Unfortunately there are only two ways out of Montara where we live, North on Hwy 1 to Pacifica or South to Half Moon Bay. Between Montara and Pacifica is a stretch of highway prone to mudslides, so much so it was given the moniker Devil's Slide to keep people away. Well, the road bed has given way and will be closed 'indefinitely' or for an 'extended' period depending on who you ask. Caltrans does have plans to bore a tunnel through Montara Mountain as a more permanent fix. The tunnel project was started last year, however it will not be completed until 2011. Which means I am spending way too much time in the car.
Normally my drive over Devil's Slide to daycare in Pacifica takes about 10 minutes. Now It is much longer because we have to drive all the way around via Half Moon Bay. Papa was in the car for almost three hours on Tuesday - one way! We left the house even earlier (6:10 am) on Wednesday and it still took 2:10 to get to work. Thursday I stayed home with Mama, and Friday we tried at 5:45 am, only 1:45 and Papa was happy. I was not. I don't like getting up so early and sitting in the car for so long. That is why I am making a funny face.
2 comments:
I can sympathize with Zeke and Papa spending so much time in the car. SO many hours lost and it's no fun in a baby carseat when you have to fae backwards and can't even see your papa. Only 5 more months and Zeke can face the front (if he also gains the right amount of weight). Yea!!!!
GrannyM
Hey WarJer. Sorry the blog has not been updated for so long. My laptop developed a problem with its DC in board (circuit board where the AC adaptor plugs in). It was fixed and I am so glad to have it back.
Zeke is cute, and you're right he doesn't look like me. Haha. Your baby is cute too. Happy first Birthday to Jada. Sorry that we didn't make it out to Pittsburg.
GrannyM, yes the commute is no fun at the moment. Zeke will usually fall asleep on the way in, but is quite agitated for the run home - during his normal feeding time we are usually sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Sometimes I pull over and give him a few ounces of formula to calm him.
Post a Comment